Thursday, July 17, 2008

Now That's an Excessive Package: Netroots Nation Schwag Bag

Product: Netroots Nation registration bag

Approximate weight: 5 pounds

Percent suitable for recycling
: 80

Most recyclable item
: Salsa-flavored tortilla chips from Wired for Change (already eaten)

Most interesting item
: Condom from Center for Constitutional Rights

Item most prone to waste
: Small t-shirt from One.org, which if I wasn't a damn dirty hippie
would go right in the trash, but since I'm a treehugger I'll follow the instructions to go to the One.org booth to trade in the shirt for my proper size

Full credit for coining term "Schwag Bag"
: Meghan from WakeUpWalMart.com

The Green Miles' level of disappointment Netroots Nation didn't do anything at all to make their Schwag Bag less wasteful/more sustainable
: 100 percent

4 comments:

Susan Gleason said...

I hope you'll keep your YES! Magazine. :-)

TheGreenMiles said...

Of course, it's in my pile of reading for the flight home!

Susan Gleason said...

Cool to hear. By the way, you probably know, YES! is printed on 100% post-consumer waste paper. Let me know if you'd like a complimentary journalist subscription, and if you'd like to be on my regular email advisory list - sgleason(at)yesmagazine.org. Enjoy the conference!

Unknown said...

Hi Ken. Your schwag bag analysis is infinitely wiser than ours. Yes, it is a lot of junk. Well done! I will start reading you all the time now.

but seriously don't use that CCR condom it's so terrifying!