Monday, April 7, 2008

H-B Woodlawn Hosts "Trashion Show"

I stopped by H-B Woodlawn High School on Friday night for an eco-friendly fashion show!

Organized by Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment student board member Leslie Keller, the "Trashion Show" featured clothes made out of reused material like newspapers, plastic bags, and even invasive plants like English ivy.

The Green Miles and Arlington County Clerk of the Court Paul Ferguson were asked to say a few words to open the event. There is absolutely no tougher audience than high school students. Not because of them - any kid who'd come back to school at 7:30pm on a Friday night has to be dedicated to the cause and they were a gracious audience. Because teenagers have the most receptive BS detectors of anyone, I knew I had to watch myself. Even the slightest hint of hypocrisy and I'd be dismissed as a phony. I think I held my own.

The show itself went great, with proceeds going to the H-B Environmental Club. Congrats to H-B, the designers and models, and especially to Leslie!

No comments: