Sunday, February 10, 2008

EnviroCAB Photo Contest: We Have a Winner!

Didn't take long to get a winner in The Green Miles' enviroCAB Photo Contest. From Steve over at CommuterPageBlog:
Here's my photo of the EnviroCab waiting at the taxi stand at East Falls Church:


Today I caught one at the Ballston Metro. Look on the CommuterPage blog for a posting about it in the next couple of days.
Steve wins a "Dominion: Global Warming Starts Here" bumper sticker. Congratulations!

If you want to call an enviroCAB, call
703-920-3333. To learn more about enviroCAB, you can check out their formal launch event on Monday:
enviroCAB, Nation’s First ‘Green’ Taxi Fleet, To Launch Service in Greater Washington, D.C. Area on Monday, February 11

Inspired by Arlington County’s Fresh AIRE Initiative, enviroCAB Offers Environmentally-Friendly Taxi Service That ‘Cleans The Air For the Same Fare’

WHO: enviroCAB founders, Hans Hess and Cord Thomas
Arlington County leaders, staff and citizens

WHAT: enviroCAB (www.envirotaxicab.com), the nation’s first all-hybrid taxicab fleet is kicking off its operations in the greater Washington, DC. The fleet of hybrid Toyota Priuses, Camrys, Highlanders and Ford Escapes guarantees passengers environmentally-friendly taxicab service at no additional cost (standard taxicab fares apply).

WHEN: Monday, February 11, 2008, 10 a.m.

WHERE: Courthouse Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA

WHY: enviroCAB is the first carbon-negative taxicab company in the world. Inspired by Arlington County’s Fresh AIRE initiative, enviroCAB is:

· the first taxicab company within the Washington, D.C., region to put a fleet on the roads comprised entirely of fuel-efficient, low-emission hybrid vehicles.

· the first taxicab company in the U.S. to completely offset its own emissions by purchasing “clean-source” offset credits.

· the world’s first carbon-negative taxicab service through additionally offsetting the emissions of 100 of the 655 non-hybrid taxis operating in Arlington,VA.
I can't make the event because I have to, like, go to work. Stupid career, always taking time away from my blog! If you go, email me and let me know how it went.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Finally saw one last night.

My other half is in the process of getting her company to start using EnviroCab. Same rates as Red Top.

The Green Miles said...

The county sets the rates for all cab companies, which I would think would put enviroCAB at an advantage. At a time of $3+ gas, their cabs will get twice the miles per gallon as their competitors.

@JeremyCee said...

I just spotted a Toyota Hybrid SUV dressed in Red Top's black and red paint the other day. Does anyone know how many Hybrids they have on the road? I think I've seen their Camary's as well. They might already have more Hybrids on the road then EnviroCAB.

@JeremyCee said...

Whaddya know? I take a peak at my RSS reader and end up answering my own question. I suppose it was probably a Ford Red Top that I spotted ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/02/04/daily49.html

The Green Miles said...

TGAATQ, that Washington Business Journal article doesn't mention that last September, the County Board gave Red Top Cab approval to add 20 more hybrid taxis (to a total of 25), Crown Cab 10 hybrids and Yellow Cab five hybrids. More from The Green Miles archives!

Annie said...

Hey I just wrote about your post :) Fyi. - Annie