Friday, June 29, 2007

This Fall, Vote Biscuit Barrel

It's Friday, so let's keep it light today.

I'm reading Rolling Stone's Climate Crisis issue, which features an interview with Al Gore. My favorite Q&A:
Are you at least glad that Bush now refers to our "addiction to foreign oil"?
I don't like the addiction metaphor, because it carries with it a sense of powerlessness. But there are some aspects of the metaphor that are accurate in ways that Bush doesn't intend. The spiral of increasingly self-destructive behavior - spending more and more for supplies of a substance that is harder and harder to get - is just bizarre. I caused a stir in Alberta, Canada, recently when someone asked me about the advisability of trying to extract oil by processing the tar sands they have up there. I said, "Well, junkies find veins in their toes" [laughs]. The then-premier of Alberta lost it - and hasn't recovered since.
As for my personal politics, I was recently inspired to make a switch by a commenter who accused me of writing a "silly blog." And since New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg recently announced his switch to being an independent, following his switch to being a Republican, before which he was a Democrat, I'm following in his footsteps.

That's right I'm switching my affiliation from independent who wishes the Democrats would make global warming a top priority and hopes the Greens will get their act together ... to the Silly Party:



I'll be voting Tarquin Fin Tim Lim Bim Lim Bim Whin Bim Lin Bus Stop Ftang Ftang Olay Biscuit Barrel for General Assembly this fall. Maybe doing some campaigning for him in an orange wig with my arms tucked inside my pants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you'd look great in the wig... but if you tucked your arms in your pants, al gore might think your a penguin who has mutated due to the damaging effects of global warming. i hope to see you in "an inconvient inconveince II" lol.

can i join the silly party too? they look like they have so much more fun! wonder what the mascot would be? a clown fish maybe? hmm.