Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lost in the Cherry Blossom Hype: DC's Magnolias

I enjoy DC's annual Cherry Blossom Festival, hitting the Tidal Basin every year to rent a paddle boat and soak in our region's most obvious sign of spring.

But overlooked in the cherry blossom fuss are all the other types of blooming trees that make DC so colorful in the spring. Most days during my lunch break at work, I take a walk to Lafayette Park in front of the White House, and the magnolia trees have really been incredible this week:
And a sign that America still loves bad movies -- on my way back to the office I passed the crew in town to film National Treasure 2. Nicholas "Don't These Glasses Make Me Look Smart" Cage and Jon Voigt were staying out of the sun while the next shot was set up:

5 comments:

Beakerz said...

I was just up at the capital and white house last weekend. You're right. Beautiful.

Too bad it's so overcast with a thought of storms later =(

<--gonna leave the photos this year to others for the Festival.

John B. said...

The magnolias by the National Gallery have looked really great this week, too. The thing I love most about the blooming trees this time of year is the variety of whites, pinks, purples, and greens, all mixed together.

Googla Monster said...

Speaking of beautiful flowering trees, can you tell me where/how Arlingtonians are supposed to dispose of alkaline batteries? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Batteries can be disposed of at fire stations: http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/EnvironmentalServices/wpcp/EnvironmentalServicesWpcpUsedoil.aspx

avocadoinparadise said...

I agree -- the magnolias are seriously shortchanged.

I hear they stay open longer and are hardier than the cherries. A case of too much accessibility = unappreicated. I see relationship parallels.