Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Green Living Challenge #2: You're Pre-Approved to Read This Blog!

I've been providing updates on my progress towards completing ACE's Green Living Challenge. This stage of the Challenge took me less than 10 minutes to complete:

Register with the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail Preference Service to reduce your junk mail.


* Each year, 100 million trees are used to produce junk mail.
* 250,000 homes could be heated with one day's supply of junk mail.
* Americans receive almost 4 million tons of junk mail every year.
* The yearly production and disposal of junk mail consumes more energy than 2.8 million cars.
There are actually at least two options for fulfilling this aspect of the challenge. The first is the Direct Marketing Association's Mail Preference Service (MPS). For a fee of $1, the MPS will put you on a "do not mail" list that DMA members must follow.

The second option is to sign up with a pay service that will selectively scrub you from certain lists while allowing other mail through. For instance, there's an organization called Green Dimes that says it will block your junk mail while allowing through the catalogues you want. Green Dimes will also plant one tree a month while you're a paying member. However, it comes at a relatively steep price -- $36 a year.

Me? I just went with MPS, the cheaper option. But if you're a Green Dimes fan, please post a comment to make your case on why it's worthwhile!

Points for this action: 5
Total points to date:
40
Points needed to complete Green Living Challenge: 100

6 comments:

Eric said...

I registered with with DMA a while ago and to be honest have not seen a noticeable drop in my junk mail. I haven't tried Green Dimes, but am definitely considering it.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Jill at GreenDimes here. Thanks for mentioning us as an option to reduce your junk mail. For a little more detail- we remove your name from a bunch of direct marketing lists, unsolicited credit card offers, and even the catalogs you no longer want (you keep the ones you do want.)

And every month we plant a tree on your behalf - the type of tree depends on the project, in some cases they are helping communities reverse desertification and foster agriculture, in others the native trees planted help stabilize soil and restore the watershed and habitats after wildfires.

In terms of the effectiveness of the service, I encourage you to look at the testimonials on our site, or simply do a blog search to see what people are saying. GreenDimes is a great, fast way to get less junk mail, more counter space, more time, and more trees. Please write us if you have more questions.
Cheers,
Jill at GreenDimes

The Green Miles said...

Thanks, Jill! That's what I love about blogging, I can just say, "I don't know much about this, someone fill in for my ignorance," and within an hour or two, it happens.

Eric said...

OK, since I didn't find DMA to be particularly effective, you convinced me -- I just signed up for Green Dimes --
I'll let you know in about 3 months how it's going.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - the testimonials are here
Jill

Anonymous said...

Glad to help Miles and Eric. I look forward to hearing your update!
Cheers,
Jill